RECIPE: Marcus' Lighter Chicken Parm
For the chicken:
- Season chicken breasts or boneless thighs with salt and pepper.
- Beat a couple of eggs in one bowl season with garlic powder.
- Add shredded or grated parmesan cheese to a plate and season with Italian seasoning.
- Dip seasoned chicken pieces in egg and shake off the excess.
- Next press the chicken into the parmesan cheese mix until all sides are coated.
- Cook the chicken in a pan with heated olive oil until crispy and an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Set aside on a cooling rack.
For the topping:
- In a saucepan, add finely chopped fresh tomatoes, fresh minced garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning or oregano, salt and pepper (and red pepper flakes if you like a little kick)
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken pieces in a baking dish.
- Top each piece of chicken with a couple spoonfuls of the tomato mixture, followed by mozzarella cheese (either slices or shredded).
- Bake in the oven on 400 degrees until the cheese is melted.